Portfolio Level Expenses
Some expenses or transactions do not apply to just one property, but to your entire portfolio. Sometimes called overhead, these transactions are referred to as portfolio level expenses in REI Hub. Any transaction can be booked to the portfolio level, but it is generally most applicable for expenses. Examples include your REI Hub subscription, real estate investor education expenses, and paying your real estate related CPA or tax preparation costs.
- Add portfolio level transactions by choosing your portfolio from the 'Transaction Scope' dropdown
- View portfolio level transactions with the Net Income by Property report. The far right column, titles 'None Assigned' (for no property assigned), contains portfolio level transactions.
- The Schedule E report offers the option to automatically prorate portfolio level transactions equally across each of your properties.
To add a new Portfolio level transaction:
1) Add a new transaction, or click Book from the Import Feed
Click into the 'Transaction Scope' field.
2) Update the Transaction Scope field to the appropriate portfolio or sub-portfolio
- If entering a sub-portfolio level transaction, select sub-portfolio from the 'Transaction Scope' dropdown.
- Next, select the appropriate sub-portfolio from the new sub-portfolio dropdown.
3) View portfolio and sub-portfolio level transactions
Access the Net Income by Property report from the Reports page and select the appropriate date range. The 'None Assigned' column includes those transactions which are not assigned to an individual property - which are therefore portfolio or sub-portfolio level transactions.
4) Automatically prorate portfolio and sub-portfolio level expenses with the Schedule E report
- Select the Tax Year and Property.
- Choose whether or not to prorate Portfolio level expenses across all your properties.
- If you have been utilizing the Mileage Log, you can also choose whether or not to include at this time.
- Click Generate Report