How to split imported transactions
Sometimes a single transaction in your bank account is actually inclusive of several different expenses, or needs to be booked to multiple different properties. To allow you to easily turn one imported transaction into multiple, REI Hub offers the ability to 'split' imported transactions.
To split an imported transaction:
1) Navigate to the transaction on the import feed, click Book
2) Toggle the action selector to 'Split'
3) Click 'Add Line' as needed
4) Enter in an amount for each line, click Save Transaction
The system will split the original transaction into the number of lines specified, in the amounts entered per line. Make sure that all lines sum up to the total of the original transaction!
5) Find the Split transactions and book as appropriate
The split transactions will have the word 'Split' added to the beginning of the description (the rest of the description is the same as the original transaction). Click Book on each transaction and book as appropriate!
6) If you need to Unsplit the transaction:
- First, undo the booked transactions for the split pieces. Find the split pieces in the import feed, and click the View button next to the transaction. Click the 'undo' button in the bottom right corner.
- Second, click 'Unsplit' on the original imported transaction after you have already unbooked all the split pieces of the transaction.
- Finally, re-book the transaction as appropriate. Click Book, and you can split it again as desired, or book it as appropriate.
7) Optionally choose to automate the split in the future
- Transaction matching rules allow you to automate certain actions in your import feed. To have the system automatically split a transaction each time it is imported, click the box to 'Create a new transaction matching rule'
- Matching by amount is required for split rules. We also strongly recommend you check the box to 'Match by description' to ensure that only the appropriate transactions are split in accordance with the rule.